Friday, June 10, 2011

Somebody let me off this insane emotional roller coaster!

Date: 10/06/2011

Time: 15:43

Days abroad: 137

Well, this is it. We have reached the end of this incredible journey. In about 5 hours and 15 minutes I will depart my home for the last 6 months and be airport bound...and about a kajillion hours late I will arrive in Oregon.
I am really excited to be seeing everyone and sleeping in my bed and petting my kitty but oh my gosh, goodbyes are so hard! I cannot believe how attached I have gotten to this beautiful place and all of these incredible people in just 6 short months.
I'm about to cry again so I will stop talking about how sad I am...

I am low on megabytes and can hardly justify buying more for the remaining...5 hours I will be in South Africa. So, no pictures this post. Sorry all. I will put up some pictures here on the blog when I reach the land of unlimited internet.

The last 10 days here in Cape Town have been so packed full...I had a couple of finals this week on Tuesday and Wednesday but I still managed to squeeze in some fun...of course.

I went to town several times to finish up my gift shopping and take in every last possible minute...One day a couple of us ran ALL OVER town...we went to Bo-Kaap, which is the Muslim community in downtown for a craft market they were having. Then we walked to a Market called the City Bowl Market which was very similar to the Old Biscuit Mill market that we went to several weeks ago. After the markets we went to a bakery called Charly's Bakery which I had heard had the best brownies in Cape Town. Oh my goodness, I had some triple chocolate explosion cake covered in chocolate sauce and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. After cake, we wandered down to the Castle of Good Hope in town then over to the Taxi Rank where there is a big cement lot in front of the Courthouse that is called the Grand Parade where a whole bunch of tents with things for sale are...I picked up a Bafana Bafana jersey for my brother (Bafana Bafana is South Africa's national soccer team) and a friend did a lot of haggling and trying on to find some new ankle boots. After all of our shopping and walking we were tired to so we went to a little bar called Julep because one of my friends heard that they had the best cocktails in South Africa. I had something called a moonshine which was wintermelon (I think that is South African for honeydew....), basil, vodka, and honey...sounds weird but it was SO DELICIOUS.

umm, I am trying to remember what else I have done lately...like I said, the days have been really busy. Trying to wrap up with all of my South African friends...and new American friends...

OH!
Sara and I took the cable car up Table Mountain finally...what incredible views, and a nice way to bookend the trip....AND! there was a vending machine there that sells SOCCER BALLS!!! IN A VENDING MACHINE. awesome.

and! I learned 'hippo' in Shona, 'Mvuwu'. So now we have Shona, Tswana, and Swedish (how random, haha) I tried to get it in Zulu too but Buhle doesnt know...silly Zulu man.

This post is so lacking in enthusiasm. I apologize, I am coming to terms with the fact that I am leaving a place I've called home for the past 6 months and I dont know when I will return, that makes me a little morose on this beautiful sunny afternoon.

I promise I'll put some pictures up when I reach the land of unlimited megabytes (aka, the US of A)

I cant wait to see everyone at home!
Love from Cape Town, for the final time :'(

No comments:

Post a Comment