Saturday, May 14, 2011

The weeks just keep flying by...

Date: 14/05/2011
Time: 22:15
Days abroad:
110

Sorry it's been a couple of weeks! I have been really busy with school lately. However, Thursday I finished the last of all of my homework ever in Cape Town. Hard to believe. In 4 weeks and about 6 hours I will be arriving at PDX. Only 1 week left of lectures here, then finals happen over 3 weeks. Which is really strange, if you ask me, but a lot of things here in South Africa are strange.
For instance, I realized this week, they dont have pie. Oh sure, they have meat pies and weird things like that...but NO DESSERT PIE. And I didnt even realize until this week.
I also was talking to Buhle the other day as he made french toast...they dont put maple syrup on their french toast. He put cheese on it. And it was just egg he made it with. No cinnamon and sugar. No nutmeg. Nothing like that. And it was for dinner. lol
Anyway, i should stop boring you all with random food facts, hahaha.

So, as i said, my weeks have been filled with paper-writing, not very interesting...last weekend I went to Long street with some friends to a place called Royale and had burgers that were DELICIOUS. Finally, a good cheeseburger...too bad I didnt find it until a month before it is time to leave :( They also had an extensive milkshake menu and I got a fresh orange milkshake--best. invention. ever. We also found a cab driver on the way home who was really cool. he was Nigerian...he's trying to save $20,000 US and move to Dallas...he's been saving for 4 YEARS and he's hoping he can go in April 2012...he was nice.
That little adventure was the most exciting thing about my weekend, the rest of it was spent working on homework.
Thursday was a VERY good day. Pricewaterhouse Coopers was on campus recruiting (there is ALWAYS something going on on campus on Thursdays...and they always have free give-aways)...anyways, it was supposed to be free stuff for people interested in accounting...minor details. Serena and i convinced a lovely lady to give us vouchers so we got a free travel mug (a nice metal one) filled with 2 shots of espresso and foamy milk (i dont know what that is called? an americano...? or...a latte? haha, i have no idea), and they had a TON of extras so we each got THREE free donuts. One cinnamon sugar twisty thingy, one chocolate frosted and one white frosted with chocolate swirlys...it was awesome. Then, to celebrate finishing all of my Africa homework ever, I went BACK to Royale with some different girls...this time for happy hour. We took the campus shuttle to the campus in town...so transport was free...on the way there, we were smashed into the jammie (the shuttle) like sardines...i was standing on the stairs praying we would not go around a sharp corner too fast and catapult me out the doors. hahahaa. Also, the Jammie nearly died...i dont know what was going on but we were going up a hill and it started doing this crazy chugging thing...hahahaha. i love getting around Cape Town. anyway, 30 rand burgers and fries...that is about $4.35 US. not bad not bad at all. Kamilah and I split a chocolate-coconut shake this time:Also deicious...this picture looks like we're on a date. Which is awkward. We werent, haha.
On the way home Ashleigh and I walked from upper campus and I thought I would share a picture of the view from Jameson Hall at night:There was rugby practice going on, so I apologize for the bright field lights...but it is still a pretty picture :)
Tonight (Saturday), Sara and I wanted to go get a gatsby for dinner. I dont know if you all remember, but I was introduced to the gatsby by my host-family the weekend I spent in Ocean View...it is basically a HUGE sandwich with a ton of stuff in it. including chips (french fries, that is). Well, one of our security guards, Alison, told us where there is a good Gatsby place in Mowbray. But he said they are only good on Fridays and Saturdays after 7pm...problem is, Mowbray is REALLY not safe after about 530 or 6...so, we talked the guardian angel driver (the guardian angel is the car that our security company has to drive us between CIEE houses after 6pm) into taking us to Mowbray. Luckily, Andile is one of the nicest men ever and he had no problem driving us there and picking us up :)
We got a chicken gatsby with chilli sauce...it was so delicious:
Sara with her Fanta :)

No, we didnt eat the whole thing...we each ate 2 and 1/2 8ths of the sandwich (figure that one out, lol). We gave 1/4 to Alison, for telling us where to go and keeping the bad guys away at night, and Buhle ate 1/8.

Other than Thursday and today...a very uneventful week....

Oh! Kate the Canadian that I met on my mid-semester vac trip through Botswana made a video of the trip and posted it on facebook...here it is:

Southern Africa 2011 from Kate Bee on Vimeo.



I know it is kind of long but it is definitely worth watching. She started her trip in Cape Town and Sara and I didnt join until Windhoek, Namibia so the part with the Kalahari Bushmen is where we came in. However, Kate's footage around Cape Town will give you some visuals for all my previous posts :)
It really is an incredible video, I hope you all enjoy it.

I cant believe I only have 3 weeks and 6 days left in beautiful Cape Town. It is FLYING by...
I hope everyone at home is well, miss you guys!

Love

No comments:

Post a Comment