Thursday, February 3, 2011

I love this continent

Date: 2/3/2011
Time: Africa Time
Days Abroad: 11

I just had a meal that rivals all other meals I have ever eaten. My small group last week won a free dinner at a place called the Africa Cafe....seriously a transcending experience. It was all you can eat homestyle dishes from all over the African continent. Let me tell you, they know how to make their flatbread in Mozambique. and their dips in Ethiopia. oh my gosh...
So...when we won this meal we were all like 'woo-hoo, whatever' (third place got $10 worth of internet vouchers each, which, at the time seemed like a godsend since we'd been cut off from the world wide web for the better part of a week)...after tonight...we no longer regret getting first place. Our waitress came in when we got there and said she would be bringing us several courses and when we were finished we were allowed to ask for more more more of whatever dishes we liked. I tried everything (yes, even the fish...). and there was not one thing I tried that I didnt like. It was incredible. There were these little ball thinks rolled in sesame seeds and I missed the waitresses explanation so I asked my RA what it was and she said..."i dont know, the sweet potato cheese what-what" haha. So I ate it...it tasted JUST like cereal...so bizaare. like...cinnamon toast crunch plus apple cinnamon cheerios but in ball form...crazy.
My favorite by far was the flatbread...and the ethiopian dips. Amazing.

Anyhoo, not much going on here this week other than dinner...I pre-registered this morning...which means I stood in the SCORCHING heat for 2 hours to get one piece of paper signed for registration tomorrow...and I hear registration is terrible terrible...like 5 hours of lines to get signed up for 4 classes. Funny thing...they tried online registration a couple of years ago and they thought the lines were EASIER. South Africans are funny that way. After pre-registration, a boy named Jeff tried to convince me to hike Table Mountain again with him...I told him "you're dreamin'"...Jeff is funny, because he lives in Fargo...so he has that accent...dontcha know? hahaha, I love it.

It has been blazing hot the last two days...and today there was zero wind. For the first time since we've been here...none. It was like Houston in August...the air was still and filled with moisture. Which made the line even more fun. Then, at like 6 o'clock, it thundered and lightninged and rained for like an hour and a half. But the air didnt cool down AT ALL. it is still one billion degrees. and it is 11pm. I actually dont know what the temperature is...the humidity throws off my ability to figure out how hot it is....because it makes it like 15 degrees hotter feeling...

Well, I'm off to bed down here in the southern hemisphere....just waiting for the phone call that my small niece has arrived (yes, I think that is phone-call worthy news...even if it costs $2 per minute. Please and thank you to someone)...
Love

No comments:

Post a Comment